Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Something out of Ordinary

I pretty much start most days off by asking myself: "I wonder if anything will happen out of normal routine today?" Most days are the same normal routinal days. Well, for today, it wasn't anything normal for the most part. I wake up early and get on computer to check my e-mail. I get an e-mail from my boss asking me to look into some servers he had found on craigslist. I look at little and leave the rest for work. After I do the research I find that if we were to buy these servers it would normally cost about $2,000. It also appeared they are in the ballpark of $6,000 to $8,000, 2-3 years ago. My boss then talks to the guy and comes down and says he is willing to sell all four servers for $500. Yes, you see the numbers correctly. $500. My mouth hit the floor. An appointment was setup for me to check them out. I go and look at them and realize that these servers are not machines, they are beasts. In total 600 pounds of pure computing power. To quickly summerize it all, my company purchased a Dell PowerEdge 2300 and 2400, and two Dell PowerEdge 4400's for a grand total of $500. Its like we stole them ;) In other news, there is no other news. I just have tons of new sys admin work to do.

No comments: